Sunday 1 December 2013

Statement


Studying at MSA has many appealing qualities.
MSA has an excellent reputation and consistently ranked one of the best schools in the UK which would enable me to have the best possible start to my career, as well as its reputation I have heard great feedback first hand from my brother who is studying Landscape architecture at Manchester.Lecturers with close connections to current practises will benefit my learning and expand my knowledge from people who have had experience in the industry.Manchester the city its self has such a diverse culture and an extensive display of historical and modern architecture that will be used to enhance my study.All these qualities of MSA make me feel that it would be a great place to study architecture.

A work of architecture which I would like to experience in person.
There are so many inspirational buildings around the world I would love to experience but my first choice would definitely be ‘Fallingwater’ By Frank Lloyd Wright.Wright believed in designing structures that were in harmony with humanity and its environment, which was best shown through this design. I’m fascinated to see how Frank Lloyd Wright marries architecture and the environment so beautifully; experiencing this in person would give me an insight into what he was trying to achieve and therefore influence the way I think about design.

Recent exhibition
ON-TYPE: Texts on Typography is an exhibition by the Gutenberg Museum in the Bauhaus Archive in Berlin, which I visited while on holiday.It explored the appearance of written words from twentieth-century typography in the German-speaking countries.This exhibition stood out from others because of the interaction element, it was Typography you could touch. There were panels providing leaflets with example fonts and quotations that could be taken away, which allowed me to compile my own individual catalogue.Being able to take home part of the exhibition inspired me to develop my own work further by incorporating parts into my current projects.

Favourite architect/building
I find the work of Eldred Evans most inspiring, this started when visiting The Tate Gallery in St Ives with my Grandparents.The design of the building is fascinating, especially the way she utilised the stunning location overlooking Porthmeor Beach to emphasise her design.The gallery was designed to show works of art in the surrounding’s and atmospheres they were created.This architect stands out because of her use of simple effective structures with clean lines that usually contrast against a curved feature that is designed to take centre place within the building. She incorporates the surrounding environment by using glass in this design to take advantage of the clear blue light and views of the dramatic coastline.

No comments:

Post a Comment